Experienced in a variety of Unix/Linux environments with emphasis on Red Hat Enterprise and Fedora Core, running MySQL 3 -5, PHP 3 - 5 and Apache 1.x - 2.x. Adept at creating niche programs in BASH, PERL and PHP and bridging routines that transform data from various sources and in different formats into a homogeneous mysql data set. I also have 5 years+ help desk & end user customer service experience, and managed a call center for 2 of those years.
- Integral contributor to doubling the sales, from 3.5 million, to 7+million, in a 4 year period. The company is now a fortune 500 company, and has consistently ranked within top 50 fastest growing companies in Oregon for the past 3 years.
- Hands on experience configuring, maintaining and customizing web servers running Apache for approximately 50 domains.
- Adept at raw log analysis as well as tools such as Google Analytics & Urchin to assist in improving conversion and overall web site exposure.
- Demonstrated abilities in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques, obtaining and retaining search engine results within top 5 on Google.com for highly competitive keywords.
- Outstanding work ethic.
- BASH, Perl and PHP w/MySQL
- Data manipulation such as XML or Excel to MySQL
- Create custom web crawlers to collect data from remote sources, aka data mining.
- Sendmail and numerous other services typically found on Linux
- Apache 1.x & 2.x using mod-rewrite methodology
- Unix/Linux user account and system maintenance.
- Monitor and archive system performance data via SNMP and MRTG
- Adept at customizing open source code to meet specific needs.
- Knowledgeable of search engine optimization methods to improve exposure of dynamically created web sites.
•Promopeddler Inc :: Sherwood Oregon :: 2003 - 2007
Systems Administrator / Programmer
Initially hired to do data entry, I wrote routines on my own time to retrieve and parse data automatically, effectively increasing data entry rate and accuracy by over one thousand percent. Later adapted initial routines to automatically maintain data freshness and integrity for a 300,000+ product catalog. Also managed a 4 person development team in conversion of proprietary catalog routines to an extremely customized version of Oscommerce as well as monitored servers nearly 24/7, responding to hardware and connectivity issues as well as blocking attempts to exploit the web server, or harvest it's data without consent.
•Teleport Internet Services :: Portland Oregon :: 1996 - 2001
Customer Service Rep, Call Center Lead Tech, Call Center Manager, Systems Administrator
Initially hired as a technical support representative, quickly worked my way to lead tech, then initiated swing shift, and later night shift to provide technical support for 60,000+ customers, for what was then the Northwest's largest private Internet service provider. During my last year there I was moved to the engineering department where I managed 6 mail servers running Qmail on Solaris, and managed emails sent to abuse@ I was also instructed new hires on the use of in house tools based on PERL and BASH as well as general Linux navigation and day to day usage. Eventually the company was bought by Earth link, where I had the option to re-locate, or be severed. I chose to stay in the Portland area and focus on freelance work.
•Stream International :: Beaverton Oregon :: 1993 - 1996
Technical Support Representative
Initially hired to provide technical support for Netscape Navigator 1.x I also took on the task of reformatting/converting internal procedural documents to a more accessible format, eg; from Microsoft Word and hard copy to HTML. I then helped to create a departmental intra-net for quicker access to technical documentation, effectively decreasing call times for the department. I continued supporting Netscape up to version 3.22 and was then moved to support Gateway computers. I eventually left the position due to the lengthy daily commutes.
•Self Employed :: 1996 - Present
Freelance PHP/MySQL Coder, SEO consultant.
A wide variety of small to medium sized projects, such as improving a web sites spider-ability, trouble shooting routine for the generation of Google's XML site maps and Froogle Feeds. Written several complete sites, most related to the Real Estate industry. Also customized numerous open source packages such as OSCommerce, Joomla / Mambo, and a link directory script called Dew-NewPHPlinks, which I maintain.
- Graduated David Douglas High School in top 5% of my class, 1983
- 8 month MCSE study course, and while I've never paid to become certified, I have passed numerous mock exams.
- The majority of my related education has come from either on the job experience, or development on my home LAN and network server.
Other hobbies and interests
Writing and performing music, gardening and cooking.
Perhaps I'm just not the right guy for your project
Well no one can know everything. Perhaps you can get your project completed by using one of the following freelance websites ?
- Sign up as a Buyer on ScriptLance
- Sign up as a Buyer on RentACoder.com
- Sign up as a Buyer on Elance
- Sign up as a Buyer on Get A FreelancerNote, I do get a little commision for the refferal, but thats not why I list them here. They are valuable resources that I've used to complete projects where portions are outside my area of expertise.
Duane aka Dewed